Little Monkey's Quilt with a Double Roll Binding
Strip Quilt with Double Roll Binding
Here's the How:
- Coordinating fabrics. I used four different cotton blend fabrics. I cut mine to 12" wide, but you can make them wider or skinnier if you want.
- Coordinating thread
- Backing fabric. How much will depend on how big you make your blanket. I chose a minky brown and used a little less than a yard.- Ruler
- Fabric Marker (I actually use chalk)
1. Wash your fabric to prevent shrinkage after you sew your blanket together.
2. Measure and cut each fabric to your desired width. My strips are 12 inches wide.
5. Do a double roll on your hem with your strip fabric. Catch the backing fabric in your second roll so it will be inside the hem.
The first roll should have the edges of the two fabrics touching.
The second roll should roll down over the top of the backing fabric.
Pin your rolls down. Make sure you pin through all layers of fabric.
It can help to iron each roll so things will stay in place better as you sew.
6. Sew a straight stitch along each edge to finish your blanket. I really like this method because it hems your fabric and binds the blanket all at the same time. It's easy, quick and looks great. Unless your thread catches and you don't notice it. Ask me how I know that...
I didn't do any kind of quilting on this blanket. I may have to go back and do that. The back of the minky is pretty slick and I may need to do at least a few straight seams to help the blanket keep it's shape. If I do, I'll update this. You may want to go ahead and do that so you don't have to re-visit this project again... Just a though.