So, this organizing thing is going slower than I anticipated. I think part of it is because I have two little munchkins that set me back three steps for every one step I take. Sound familiar, anyone… anyone at all? Anyway, I was hoping to kind of move room by room. It’s turning into more of a project by project deal, rather than a whole room. So, here’s one for the kitchen. I was getting so frustrated with the spice situation in my cupboard. The cupboards are tall, so I have trouble reaching much higher than the first level of shelves. And everything was getting lost if it wasn’t right up front where I could see it. So… I hung a few baskets for some extra storage. Sorry for the awful glare in that first photo, the window is right there and was creating making it really difficult to get a decent photo.
- Baskets. I used desk organizers I found at the Dollar Tree.
- Small 1/2 inch Screws
- Drill and small drill bit
- Pencil or Pen
- Decide where you want the baskets to hang. Make sure they don’t hit any shelves and take into account the width of your baskets. You’ll lose that much storage space at the front of the shelf when you shut the cupboard. I also recommend making sure your baskets are long enough that they hit both of the thick borders of the cupboard door. That will give you a better chance of not poking through the cupboard door with your screws.
- Use your pencil or pen and mark the spots on your doors. Use the small drill bit and drill just a little bit into the door. Be careful not to poke through the other side of the door!
- Carefully, screw the basket to the door.
- Fill up your baskets.
For $6, I drastically improved the way I use our cupboards. I keep all of our frequently used spices and other things right there, front and center, in the baskets. Things don’t get lost at the back of the cupboards anymore because I can’t see everything. With the baskets, when I open the doors it pulls out a third of the things on that shelf, making it SOOO much easier to see the things that are at the back.
If you’d like to get more While He Was Napping, you can find me here: