This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #TysonAndAMovie #CollectiveBias
We are smack in the middle of summer here in the dry, hot desert and that means one thing… Summer movies are coming out in full swing! One of my favorite things to do in the summer is go to the drive-in movies, both with my kids and without. The new FANTASTIC FOUR movie will be out in a few short weeks and I am pretty excited to see it. The twist on the story line has me quite intrigued. Mr. Napping and I will be screening the movie before we take our boys, but superheroes are a big deal in this house – with three boys, how can they not be?! In order to help us get excited for a fantastic movie night, we decided to create our own fun drive-in right at home! And what’s a movie without some delicious snacks, like Tyson® Any’Tizers®? I’ll share my favorite four movie snacks, besides popcorn of course. But, first, let’s get our cars ready for the drive-in!
DIY CARDBOARD BOX CARS FOR AN AT HOME DRIVE-IN MOVIE NIGHT
– cardboard boxes (1 for each car)
– box cutter
– spray paint
– packing tape
– construction paper
– hot glue gun and glue sticks
– foam letter stickers
– chalk markers
– 3-inch circle punch
– aluminium foil
– black paper plates
– paper cup
– black wide (2 to 3 inches) grosgrain ribbon
1. Start with some old, empty boxes. The empty part is crucial.
2. Cut the flaps off the top of the box and a space wide enough to comfortably stand up through the bottom of the box.
3. Use the flaps and packing tape to create any extra shape to the car you want. I made a little dashboard in the green car and used small triangular pieces to help support the windshield in both cars.
4. Spray paint the boxes. My red box needed a primer, but the blue box did not. Both boxes got four coats of paint, plus the red box got a layer of primer. Let the paint dry thoroughly, preferably overnight. Mine actually dried for a couple of days, but 4-6 hours should be sufficient.
** If you want to construct cars as a group activity, whether for a movie night, a kids’ party or some other event, you will want to have the above completed prior to your event. You may want to do some of the following prior to the event as well, such as having things pre-cut.
5. Use paper plates and construction paper circles to create wheels for your car. Each wheel will need one plate and one circle. Use a glue stick to glue the construction paper circle to the center of the plate and use hot glue to secure the plate to the box. You will NOT want the plate to extend past the bottom of the box or it will get crushed when the box is placed on the floor.
6. Use a small piece of one of the cardboard flap, cut to a rectangle, to make a rear view mirror. Cover the rectangle with construction paper and use a small piece of aluminium foil to make the reflective ‘mirror’ part. Hot glue the mirror to the windshield inside the car. It won’t fall off, but it’s not super sturdy either. Baby N ripped Big J’s off his car and I had to reattach it. But, it’s hot glue, so no big deal.
7. Make a steering wheel with a black paper plate. You can decorate it or not. One of my boys chose to put a colored construction paper circle on his, the other decided not to.
In the green car, I secured the steering wheel to the dashboard I created with a small piece of cardboard taped onto the dashboard. I then hot glued the steering wheel plate to the small cardboard.
In the blue car, I used a paper cup covered in black construction paper to make a steering column. I then hot glued the steering wheel plate to the cup and the cup inside the box where the steering wheel is supposed to be (on the left, in our case).
8. Create a seat belt with wide black grosgrain ribbon. I poked small holes in opposite corners of the box. If you’re standing at the back of the car, I put holes in the front right and the back left so it was like wearing a seat belt on the driver’s side of the car (in the US). Put one end of the ribbon through one of the holes and tie a knot. Measure on the child how long the ribbon needs to be. Length will depend on the length of the child’s torso and where they want the car to sit while they are playing. Have them stand in the car and pull the ribbon up over their shoulder and to the back of the car. Big J wanted his car to sit lower than Little J did, so the best way to figure this out is to actually measure it with the child in the car. Poke the other end through the hole at the back of the car and tie another knot. In the green car, we hid the front knot under the bumper.
9. If you want to create a bumper, use one of the flaps from the short side of the box and cut off a strip abour 3 inches wide. Wrap it in aluminium foil and use hot glue to secure it to the car.
10. Create headlights with circles of yellow construction paper. Glue them on with a glue stick. Yellow plastic cups would also be cute and super easy for this. Create a windshield with a rectangle of light blue construction paper and glue it on. I had to use hot glue for the windshield. You could cut the windshield out, but I knew ours wouldn’t last that long if there were just small pieces of cardboard holding it all up, so I left it intact and used the construction paper instead. They have no problems seeing over it.
11. Create a license plate with construction paper. We used foam letter stickers and Big J and I used a chalk marker to write the large letters on the green car. Little J just did his own thing on this one. Make it a fun one!
Now, your kiddos are ready for a great movie night! We have a large screen and projector that we like to set up for movie nights at our house. It was perfect for our at-home drive-in. And best of all, we didn’t have to wait for it to get dark, which means the kids were still in bed at a decent hour. Mom win! But what’s a movie night without some awesome movie night snacks?! Popcorn is the old standard and there are lots of ways to make just the way you like it. But, it’s definitely not the only go-to movie snack in our house.
MY TOP FOUR MOVIE SNACKS (besides popcorn)
1. Tyson® Any’Tizers® make fantastic movie snacks! They are a line of easy prep, frozen snacks and available in a variety of yummy flavors, so everyone is sure to find one they like. They are packed with protein, so I don’t have to worry about my kids (or myself!) filling up on empty calories and lots of sugar. They are made with quality, all white chicken meat and I love that they are easy for my kids to feed themselves, even the littlest ones.
2. Pizza Pretzels. It’s a soft pretzel with pizza toppings: pepperoni, Italian herbs, Parmesan and Colby Jack cheese. It’s probably a ton of calories and your entire carbohydrate allowance for the day… but it’s totally worth the splurge!
3. Mango Salsa and Tortilla Chips. This is the perfect way to get a little sweet and salty going on. It’s a fresh salsa made with delicious sweet mangoes, zippy onions, crunchy peppers and fresh cilantro. Pair with tortilla chips. Or eat it out of the bowl with a spoon. I won’t tell.
4. And, because I’m a chocoholic… Peanut Butter Cup Bars. It’s all the goodness of peanut butter cups in an easy to make cookie bar-style little treat. There’s just something about the peanut butter and chocolate combo that hits the spot for me.
READY FOR A FANTASTIC MOVIE NIGHT?
I grabbed a couple bags of Tyson® Any’Tizers® in the Popcorn Chicken and Honey BBQ flavors at my local Walmart. You can find them in the frozen food section with the other frozen snacks. They were super easy to cook up while we were getting the screen all set up and prepped. And my whole family loved them!
And, right now, if you buy two (2) bags of Tyson® AnyʼTizers® snacks at Walmart you can get a ticket to see the new FANTASTIC FOUR movie in theaters with three simple steps:
1. Buy 2 participating Tyson® Any’Tizers® products at Walmart between 6/15/15 and 8/15/15.
2. Take a picture of your receipt and text or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org 11:59pm PST on 8/15/15.
3. Receive a code redeemable for a movie ticket to see FANTASTIC FOUR while in theaters. Code must be redeemed by 9/30/15 on tysonmovieoffer.com.
This offer is ONLY available at Walmart. Check the store locator to find a participating store near you! Who is your favorite member of the FANTASTIC FOUR quartet?