I saw these on Pottery Barn. Cute, right? But $8 a piece? I don’t think so. Not when I can buy a case of 12 canning jars for that.
So, what do all crafters think when they see things like this? Yes, hi, my name is Krista and I have “I-can-make-that” syndrome. So, I did just that.
Here’s the How:
Mason Jar or other similar glass jar (do you save your spaghetti sauce jars?)
Wire, your choice of color and gauge
1) Wash out your jar, especially if you are recycling a bottle.
2) Wrap your wire around the jar, just below the threads that hold the lid on. If you are using a thin gauge wire you will probably want to wrap it around several times. If you want the look of a braided wire, twist and braid it before you start wrapping.
3) For the handle, twist the wire around the strand(s) that you put around the mouth of the jar. Pull out however much wire you want to make the length of the handle. Loop it around the other side of the wire that is around the mouth of the jar.
4) I wanted a braided handle, so I wrapped the wire together every time I made another loop in my handle.
5) Fill with your desired substance (sand, salt, candles, whatever your little heart desires). Hang and enjoy. Ooh-la-la!
This was free for me, as I had everything on hand. If you upcycle a jar, the cost will be less than $5 and you can make as many lanterns as you have jars. Less than $20 will get you a set of 12 canning jars and the wire. How pretty would these be out on the patio after sunset? L-O-V-E!