These are super versatile, completely customizable, and can suit any taste. I did this one for my Little Monkey. I’ve done other ones for friends getting married. Teacher’s gifts, neighbor gifts and home decor. It will work for all of those.
This is super simple and fairly inexpensive. Here’s the how:
1) You will need a piece of wood. I prefer 1×6 and cut it to the length you want. For wedding gifts I usually make them 18-24 inches long. For signs in kid’s rooms, teachers and neighbors I usually stick to 12-15 inches. Most home improvement stores will cut the board for you, for a small fee. Totally worth it.
2) Prime your board with your choice of primer. I just use cheap spray paint. Keep in mind what color you want to make your sign. If it’s a light color, use a white primer. Save a gray primer for your darker colored projects.
3) When your primer is dry, give your board 2-3 coats of your choice of color. You can use spray paint, interior latex paint or even acrylic craft paint. Last year, I did several of these for Christmas gifts. I spray painted a couple of projects, but it was awfully cold and ended up resorting to acrylic paint. It worked just fine.
4) When your boards are dry, you can ink or stress your board if you want. You can then put any saying you would like to on them. You can use vinyl or you can paint them on with a stencil. If you’re incredibly brave, free-hand paint you words. I use vinyl a lot. It’s a little more expensive, but it’s a bit easier and can look more professional, depending on how steady your paintbrush hand is.
5) Seal your board with a clear sealant. Attach wall hanging hardware to the back of the board. Hang. Or gift wrap. Which ever the circumstances call for.