This year, I have a thing for witches. Not creepy, tormenting, evil witches. The cute witches. You know, the ones with the cute, wacky hats, the pointy black boots, the broomsticks, the striped stockings, the frizzy hair and even the spell books. They just don’t use the spell books for evil… Only good spell-casting witches here…
So, I decided I need some of those cute, pointy hats… And I came up with a way to do it for less than $5. I’d call that a win-win situation.
Here’s the How:
– Floral Cone (I found mine at Dollar Tree)
– Black Felt large enough to cover your cones (I used the leftovers from the car play mat I made back in March). You could probably use two 9×12 sheets for one hat. Thee sheets for two hats, four sheets for three hats, five sheets for four hats and seven sheets for five hats. (Basically, you’ll need about one and a quarter sheet per hat).
– Ribbon or other embellishments to decorate your hat with
– Hot glue and glue sticks
1) Start by unwrapping your floral cone. Wrap the black felt around the cone. You may have to do some manipulating to get it to end in a point. Hot glue one side of the felt and stick it to the cone. Wrap the felt around the cone and glue the other end.
2) Fold all the excess at the bottom over the bottom of the cone and glue it down. You’ll need enough to stick the felt to more of the felt. It doesn’t stick well to the styrofoam cone.
3) Cut a large circle from another sheet of felt. How big is up to you and how many hats you are making, but it should be bigger than the base of your floral cone. The bigger it is the more brim your hat will have. And, as you can see, it doesn’t have to be a perfect circle. Or even close.
4) Spread glue over the base of the floral cone and stick it in the middle of the circle you just cut. Press firmly for a few seconds while it dries.
5) Wrap ribbon around the base of the cone where it meets the brim. Secure with hot glue. Embellish your hats any way you like.