I did a post on my favorite apps for kids on the Android OS a few days ago. And my kids’ apps do take up a bit of space on my devices, but I definitely have my fair share (and then some… it is MY phone after all…) of apps. So, here’s a few of my favorite apps for momma:
Social Media Apps:
1. Facebook. While I don’t love everything about this app, it gets the job done and is usually pretty reliable, even if it is awfully slow sometimes. Facebook is my go-to app when I have a few minutes of waiting. It’s great for a quick catch-up with friends and family.
2. Instagram. iPhone users have had Instagram for the past year and, recently, it came to Android. I won’t lie, this is probably one of my favorite all-around apps. I am all about the photos. I love to take photos and this is an easy way to share them with family and friends. When hubby is out of town with work, I can upload a photo of Little Monkey hanging off of the counter and Daddy gets just a little taste of our day even when he’s far away. It’s also a fun way to keep in touch with friends who are hundreds or thousands of miles away. Sure, I could just read their Facebook statuses, but there’s something about seeing the photo of Cindy Lou Who’s dance recital that is so much better than just reading about how mom thinks she did such an awesome job.
3. TweetCaster. I’m horrible at tweeting and facebooking for my blog. HORRIBLE. Sure, I’ve read all the social-media-will-grow-your-readership articles and they have valid points. I just don’t remember or have time to update a bunch of different places. And my Twitter account is linked to my blog, whereas Facebook is linked to my personal page. I try to keep the two separate and a lot of the time the dual-posting options don’t work for me. When I do tweet, a lot of the time it is with TweetCaster. It’s easy, user-friendly and you can set notifications (or turn them off) when you get new tweets or mentions.
4. Google+. Honestly, I mostly have this app installed for the instant upload feature. Ever see the commercial where the new dad has hundreds and hundreds of photos of his new little man on his phone and then he leaves the phone in a cab one night? He’s not upset he lost the phone, it’s the photos of his kiddo he wants back. Of course it’s a commercial highlighting the instant upload feature. All his photos of his little guy are already uploaded on his computer. Yeah, that’s why I have Google+.
5. Handcent SMS. My texting app of choice because it allows me to set different tones and LED flash colors for different people. If I’m at a meeting and the hubby is home with the hooligans and I notice a yellow LED flash, I just might want to check and make sure everyone is still alive and not en route to the ER or something. Now, if it’s flashing orange, my ten-year-old sister can probably wait until I have a free minute.
6. Latitude. This is a cool app because I can use it to stalk… uhm, I mean track, Daddy when he’s on his way home from a trip. Little Monkey loves watching Daddy get closer and closer to home. One time, my hubby’s family was having a reunion and a couple of his sisters left the same day we did. It was fun to watch and track everyone on our way to Grandma and Grandpa’s.
7. Google Reader. Not necessarily social media, per se, but worth a mention. I love having all my blog subscriptions available on my phone in one place. It’s a life saver at the doctor’s office, in between meetings, and for all those other “waiting times”. When else would I get the chance to read up on my fave blogs?
Any social media apps you love?