This is a recipe that I have tweaked and played with for a few months now. If you like garlic and cheese, these are the rolls for you. They are hearty, dense and filling… and delicious. I took a basic roll recipe and added in all the good stuff and then spent a few months tweaking on the amounts for the various ingredients.
GARLIC CHEESY ROLLS
1/4 cup warm water
2 tsp yeast
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
2 Tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup white sugar
1 cup milk
1 egg (can substitute 2 Tbsp water or extra milk)
3-4 cups flour (it’s usually more than 3, but less than 4 and it varies a bit every time. Start with 3 and add from there if you need to. You just want to make the dough not sticky.)
Shredded mozzarella cheese – more or less to taste. I usually use about 3/4 cup.
– Dissolve the yeast in the warm water.
– Combine all ingredients, except the mozzarella cheese, until well mixed and doughy. If the dough is too sticky to handle, add a little more flour until it’s soft but doesn’t stick to everything. If it’s too dry, add a tsp of water until everything sticks together.
– Mix in the shredded cheese, either in your stand mixer or knead it in by hand. I choose to knead it in by hand so I can make sure it’s distributed evenly though out the dough.
– Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place on a greased 9×13″ pan.
– Cover with a dish towel and let rise 1-2 hours.
– Bake at 400F for 15-20 mins, until tops are golden brown.
Yields 12-16 Rolls
*Because of the milk and cheese in these rolls, I recommend storing any leftovers in the fridge for up to 7 days. They’ll keep better.* These make tasty turkey sandwiches. Just sayin’.