This is a spin off of the Creamy Potato Soup I shared last year. We love that soup and enjoy it every so often. Let’s face it, there’s like a trillion calories in it. My waistline couldn’t handle if we ate much more of it. In an attempt to healthy it up a little, we came up with this:
– 6-8 small potatoes
– 3 chicken breasts
– 3 carrots
– 1/2 crown of broccoli
– 1/2 onion
– 4 cloves of garlic
– 6-8 strips of bacon, chopped
– green onions/shallots
– 1 egg
– 1 can chicken broth
– 1 cup milk
– 1/2 cup Velveeta Cheese
– Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
– Chop and saute the onion and garlic cloves in a medium sauce pan. Dice and add the chicken to the sauce pan. Cook chicken on medium high heat.
– Wash, peel and dice the potatoes and carrots. Cut the broccoli up.
– Boil the potatoes and carrots in a large pot. (We cheat and steam the carrots in a steamer in the microwave to cut down on cooking time instead. About five minutes in the steamer and it takes off about 15 minutes of cooking time.)
– Steam the broccoli for about 3 minutes in the microwave.
– When the potatoes are soft enough to mash, drain and return them to the pot. Mash the potatoes. Mix in the egg while the potatoes are still steaming.
– Add the sauted mixture, broccoli (and carrots, if you steamed them), chicken broth and milk to the potatoes. Return to the stove on medium high heat.
– When the soup is steaming, add in the Velveeta cubes and stir until dissolved.
– Simmer approximately 10 minutes.
– Serve soup in bowls topped with shredded Colby Jack cheese, green onions/shallots and bacon crumbles. Sour cream optional.