Who doesn’t love a good won-ton? Right? I know that’s one of the first things on my order when we stop and get Chinese food. And this at-home version is super scrumptious and totally worth a little time to make. The sweet, creamy filling is set off by the crunch of fresh shrimp and a little zing of shallot. These shrimp and cream cheese won-tons are a great appetizer option for your dinner parties and summer entertaining.
SHRIMP AND CREAM CHEESE
– 8 oz Cream Cheese, softened
– 1 lb fresh Jumbo Shrimp
– 4 Green Onion (shallots) stalks, sliced
– Won-ton wrappers
– Vegetable Oil (or other similar oil)
– Dice shrimp prawns into small piece about the size of the end of your pinky finger.
– Combine cream cheese, green onions, and shrimp dices in a bowl and mix until evenly distributed.
– Fill won-ton wrappers with a small dab of shrimp mixture and seal each wrapper with a bit of water.
– Heat a small pot of oil on the stove until the oil is 375F.
– Carefully drop one or two won-tons in the pot and cook for 45-60 seconds, flip the won-ton and cook on the other side. Remove from the oil and allow to cool on a cooling rack covered with a paper towel. Warning: cook times will vary with the temperature of the oil. For best results, watch the won-ton as it cooks and remove from the oil when it is a golden brown.
– Set won-tons on a paper towel and allow the excess oil to drain from them.
– Repeat with all the won-tons.
– When cooled, transfer to a plate and serve. Won-tons will taste better warm, so don’t let them cool too long, but use caution as they will be incredibly hot when you remove them from the oil.
– Enjoy! Store any leftovers in an air tight container in the fridge for up to seven days. (Ha, leftovers. Right.) You can reheat the won-tons in the microwave or, for a crisper won-ton, reheat in the oven on 350F for 5-7 mins.