This week is a little crazy, so I’m all about the simple dinner. But I try not to feed my family from a can or box very often. Big J’s absolute favorite food right now is mac and cheese. I made homemade macaroni and cheese from scratch the other night and Mr Napping loved it, but Big J was disappointed. The boy was expecting something from a box. Homemade macaroni and cheese is definitely my preferred recipe and Big J admitted it was good, “just not what I expected really.”
So, if you want mac and cheese from a box, skip this recipe. But if you want some delicious homemade macaroni and cheese made with real cheese, give this baby a whirl. It might seem like there are a lot of ingredients, but it all comes together pretty quickly, so it’s still a quick prep dinner.
HOMEMADE MACARONI AND CHEESE
Serves: 6 servings
Serving size: 205 g
- 1 lb uncooked pasta
- 6 oz sour cream
- ⅓ cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- 5 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 5 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder (or more if you want)
- 1 Tbsp powdered Parmesan cheese
- Bacon bits for garnish
- Green onion slices for garnish
- In a large pot, cook the pasta according to the directions on the packaging. Cook time will depend on the kind of pasta you use.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a medium sauce pan, melt the butter. Add the sour cream and milk and stir until well combined.
- An ounce or two at a time, add the mozzarella cheese and stir until it's combined with the milk mixture.
- When the mozzarella cheese is all melted, add in the cheddar cheese an ounce or two at a time.
- Stir until the mixture is well combined. Add the powdered Parmesan cheese and the garlic powder. Mix well.
- When the pasta is al dente, drain the water and rinse if desired. Return to the pot.
- Carefully, pour the cheese mixture over the pasta and mix until the pasta is evenly coated.
- Let stand 3-5 minutes.
- Garnish with bacon bits and green onions, if desired.